Friday, April 15, 2011

The Conservative Side of the Ballot Bungle

I just had my exam for my Canadian Democracy class, I hope I did well :(

Yesterday at the special ballot box in the UC some Conservative Party hotshot came around, and told everyone the ballot box was illegal...

If you don't know the story:


Guelph Mercury - Conservatives want to dump Guelph U student votes

Join me as I make a poor attempt to understand what happened.
I phoned Marty Burke's constituency office in the morning, and the lady was not very helpful. She was actually rude. When I asked her name, she refused to tell me. I then made up some nonsense about her having a legal obligation to tell me her name because she was representing a government institution. She told me her name and hung up. I didn't use a accent.

I phoned again later in the afternoon. A much nicer women answered the phone, and she explained that she didn't know all the facts and she took my number to call me back... I did use an accent.

I then phoned the Conservative Party of Canada Office. The nice man explained the Conservative side of the story. I used an accent. Sorry about the quality, I have slow internet. It is a long video, because I mostly just let the dude talk.



I sincerely admire the integrity of the man who answered the phone. He maintained perfect composure during our phone call, even though I may have been slightly baiting him. It is people like him, the foot soldiers of each campaign, that do the grunt work, who make Democracy in Canada the beautiful thing that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment