Monday, May 16, 2011

WHA?! I thought Greg Mortenson was one of the good guys?


ugh! This is a huge disappointment. Greg Mortenson, founder of the charitable organization The Central Asia Institute, might be a fraud! This is the guy who rose to international fame after writing the books "Three Cups of Tea" and "Stones into Schools"; both chronicle his success bringing education and healthcare to mountainous region in central Asia. His organization has claimed to build hundreds of schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan, and in the process: empower women and fight terrorism! A truly awesome combination.
But unfortunately, a report on 60minutes indicated the whole scheme is a sham! Apparently he just spends his charity's received donations on himself in order to live a lavish lifestyle. Apparently his charity doesn't do anything, and the contents of his books was fabricated! YIKES! Unfortunately, I don't have whatever channel 60minutes is on. So I can't really say what all the accusations are specifically...

Here is the article from Yahoo News: Is Three Cups of Tea Writer Greg Mortenson a Fraud?

But... I have read one of his books. I feel conflicted. I read the first one "Three Cups of Tea" when it came out. Honestly, It was wicked. It was an engrossing adventure story, and the positive actions of Mr. Mortenson made me feel a little better about the world. It really sucks that I won't be able to appreciate that book as much as I did before. I haven't read "Stones Into Schools" yet; and I probably never will. If he can disprove all the evidence against him, maybe I will pick it up. maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment